"Yeah, Your Life Just Got Better!"
If you've been enjoying the podcast, a great way to ensure more and better content is through becoming a supporter! Find out how you can be a supporter by clicking here!
- 10/26/2021 - Episode 1: The Grumpy Collector Podcast Intro & Exploring Grand Seiko Watches
Best Grand Seiko Related Websites:
- 11/2/2021 - Episode 2: How to Succeed in Coffee Mugs Without Really Trying
Battle Royale Mug Contenders:
- 11/9/2021 - Episode 3: Going Once, Going Twice, SOLD! - 2021 Geneva Fall Watch Auction Review
Best darn watch newsletter in the land, Rescapement by Tony and friends.
Fall Auction House Watch Auctions:
- 11/17/2021 - Episode 4: Like a Rolling Stone, an Exciting Hobby Gathers No Moss - All About the World of Collecting Rocks & Minerals
- 11/24/2021 - Episode 5: Hidden Gems: Modern-Day Limited Edition Jaeger-LeCoultre Watches
This week's episode is a visual episode for those who listen/watch via Spotify. For those who listen to the podcast using other streaming services, follow along with the below presentation (PDF format).
- 12/16/2021 - Episode 6: EDC, It's Easy As ABC - Let's Explore the World of Everyday Carry
This episode is all about Everyday Carry, aka EDC. The idea and ethos as well as the community that's grown up around EDC is all based on curating and being mindful of the tools, gear, and gadgets we interact with and use every day. In this episode, we'll cover some of the various categories of gear that falls into the EDC world (such as bottle openers, flashlights, pens, wallets, etc) as well as review of the better and lesser-known makers who are creating some amazing creations today that are affordable and accessible.
- Source for paracord: https://www.paracordplanet.com
- Fuzzyedge Design Lanyard Beads: https://www.facebook.com/fuzzyedge/
- Titanium Flashlight, Fenix E99: Amazon
- INKA Write Anywhere Titanium Pen: Amazon
- Maker, Jordan Metal Art, "Infected" Trover Titanium Bottle Opener: http://www.jordanmetalart.com/2016/11/infected-trover-tool-sus.html
- Maker, Jordan Metal Art's 1" Bronze Scale Cube: http://www.jordanmetalart.com/2017/10/one-inch-bronze-scale-cube-sus.html
- Maker, Peter Atwood's website: Planet Pocket Tool
- Fox Hanx: https://foxhanx.com/
- Cantonment's Kerchief: https://cantonment.com/
- Brad Blount JBB Bat Bottle Opener: https://www.knifehunter.com/shop/edc-gear/jbb-baseball-bat-bottle-opener-brad-blount/
- Steel Flame/Burnley Cypop Ringspin: https://www.arizonacustomknives.com/advanced-search/?keyword=Cypop+Ring+Spin
- Maker, Bullaculla Tritium Bottle Openers: https://bullaculla.bigcartel.com/
- Maker, Ben Krein, Worry Stones: https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=6469148203111463&set=gm.4482813088417577
- Zach Woods Church Key: https://www.knifejoy.com/products/zach-wood-custom-tools-2020-strike-plate-ck1-titanium-upgrayedd-church-key-pry-bar
- Starlingear 4 in 1 Church Key: https://www.monkeyedge.com/Starlingear-Professor-Mavericks-4-in-1-Church-Key-p/sg2869-sj1839.htm
- Maker, Lucas Burnley (BRNLY): https://brnly.com/collections/gear
- Maker, Zach Woods: https://zwoodknives.com/tools/
- Maker, Jesper Voxnaes' Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/816960085036998
- Maker, Anso of Denmark: https://anso-of-denmark.com/collections/accessories
- Maker, Koch Tools: https://www.kochtools.com/
- Maker, GambleMade: https://www.gamblemade.com/
- EDC Addicts Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/EDCADDICTS
- EDC Retailer, Urban EDC Supply: https://urbanedcsupply.com/
- EDC Retailer, Knife Joyhttps://www.knifejoy.com/collections/everyday-carry-tools?gf_271335=1
- EDC Retailer, Arizona Custom Knives: https://www.arizonacustomknives.com/advanced-search/?page=1&availability=1&price[min]=$0&price[max]=$50,000&gears=122&limit=15&sortBy=relevance
- 1/2/2022 - Episode 7: 2021 Year End Review - State of the Watch Collection (SOTC)!
In this episode we do a deep dive into the Grump's watch collection, what did it look like like at the beginning of 2021, what came and went throughout the year, and what moves are planned in 2022.
- 1/19/2022 - Episode 8: Our First Interview... Meet Olivia Briggs! Watch, fountain pen, custom keyboard collector extraordinaire!
On this week's super-sized episode we have our first interview! I first heard of Olivia Briggs through Grand Seiko's GS9 Club's newsletter. We talk about just a few of the things she collects and is passionate about... There's a lot of watch talk (we go deep into Grand Seiko) but we also talk about Japanese lacquer, the idea of intentionality, fountain pens, the food and coffee scene in New York City, and her love for custom keyboards and keycap sets. She's even designed some of her own custom keycap sets under the moniker, Olivia++.
- 2/9/2022 - Episode 9: Every artist was first an amateur, and every collector was first an acquirer.
In this episode we tackle and decode the art world from the perspective of an aspiring collector. Everything from how to think about researching artists and galleries, social media's influence on the art market, and how hype culture has taken over urban art and everything inbetween. The best part is we only talk about NFT's for one minute!
North Carolina Art References:
- 4/7/2022 - Episode 10: Watches & Wonders 2022 - The Unfiltered Truth And Hot Takes Of All The New Watch Releases In March!
If the watch world is a solar system, then the watch trade show that is Watches & Wonders is the Sun, which everything revolves around. From Omega X Swatch MoonSwatch to the "Lefty" Rolex GMT II Master and all the new watch releases in between, we leave no announcement unexamined. Learn which watch brands got it right and which got it WAY wrong this year. We cover all the new watches from Patek Philippe, Rolex, Ressence, Grand Seiko, TAG, Edox, Zenith, Omega, Jaeger-LeCoultre, Panerai, and many others!
- 5/3/2022 - Episode 11: Meet Gary Slayen! Boomerang, Kite, Car, and Watch Collector, Enthusiast, and Dear Friend
For this episode I interview passionate collection and enthusiast Gary Slayen! Gary and I go deep into his many passions and collections as well as probe into his criteria for what makes a great watch, boomerang, and kite. Gary is one of those rare collectors who can see beyond brand names and marketing to truly uncover quality without the hype.
- 8/27/2022 - Episode 12: To store or not to store, that is the question. All the things to consider when selecting the perfect watch box or case
The world of watches is literally flooded with options to store and transport your watches. In this episode we break down all the various options on the market, their pros and cons and the things you should keep in mind when selecting your next watch box, case, tool roll or watch tube. I've grappled with the idea of the perfect watch box for over a decade and have a pile of discarded watch boxes to prove it. Learn from the Grump so you don't make similar mistakes along your watch journey.
- 10/4/2022 - Episode 13: The Curious Case of the Jaeger-LeCoultre Lamp Post Clock
This episode is a reading of my story that was recently published on www.StrictlyVintageWatches.com all about Jaeger-LeCoultre Lamp Post Clocks along with some amusing anecdotes and side stories. We go DEEP into the fascinating variations of these clocks, when they were made, and what a potential collector or owner should look for in one.
- 11/23/2022 - Episode 14: 2022 New York Watch Week Review!!!
Get the scoop on all the activities, events, and parties during the first ever New York Watch Week, aka the trifecta of watch events that took place between October 19-23, 2022. This included RedBar Global Meetup, WatchTime NYC, and Worn & Wound's Wind Up Watch Fair. Hear first-hand what it was like to attend all the events and things to keep in mind if you want to attend similar events in the future. Learn from the Grump's mistakes!
- 2/17/2023 - Episode 15: The Trifecta Episode! Travel Tips, State of the Watch Collection, and Watch Predictions for 2023!
The grump has been away for awhile, but is BACK! We get caught up hearing about traveling through Europe with just a single watch (gasp!), the state of the watch collection (what watches were added and removed during 2022), and finally what are the Grump's predictions for watches in 2023. It's a full packed episode, hope you enjoy!
- 4/18/2023 - Episode 16: Watches & Wonders Recap As Only The Grump Can Do It!
At this point we all know the major releases that were Watches & Wonders 2023, THE largest trade show of the year for the Swiss and broader watch industry. But, do you know which were the strongest and weakest offerings as gauged by the Grump? We'll pick apart the new releases by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Jaeger-LeCoultre, Panerai, IWC, Cartier, Vacheron, and many others. If you are looking for the most comprehensive yet curated review of all the new watch releases, you've come to the right place.
- 7/24/2023 - Episode 17: Go Around the Moon and Sun with Martin Braun!
In this episode we interview Martin Braun, watchmaker and watch-designer behind some epic contributions to the world of watches including the first mechanical watch to tell sunrise and sunset to reinventing and reinvigorating the moonphase complication. We cover Martin's past, present, and future in and around the world of watches.